Monday, January 17, 2011

Weekend Dinner ~ Calzone/Stromboli


Okay, so I attempted to make Stromboli but it ended up being HUGE and didn't look like an ordinary Stromboli. I wanted to cook something new and my husband's mother used to make him this when he was growing up, so I called her for the recipe. It was a little more time consuming since the dough had to rise all day so I made this on a weekend.
I followed the directions on the package of the frozen bread. It took me pretty much all day to get these loaves at this size. I ended up turning on the oven and putting the pan on the stove in hopes that the heat would help and it did. Once they get to this size, you take the loaves, put them on a floured surface and roll them out into a large rectangle.



You take your meats and cheeses and layer them in the middle of the dough rectangle. You can change the meats and cheeses to your tastes but I definitely recommend using the mozzarella and provolone cheeses because they had a really good taste.

Sprinkle the top of the meats and cheeses with the basil and oregano.






Fold the dough over and seal it with your hands. I sprinkled water on it to help seal the edges. Flip the dough over, seal side down on a greased cookie sheet. I lined mine with tin foil to catch any spills. Take the melted butter and brush across the dough and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown.



Slice and serve with your favorite marinara sauce.



Here is the recipe:


1 loaf of frozen bread


1 package sliced pepperoni


1 package sliced salami


1 package sliced provolone cheese


1 package sliced mozzarella cheese


1 tsp dried basil


1 tsp oregano


Any type of marinara sauce to dip in


Parmesan cheese


melted butter


You take the frozen bread loaves and follow the directions to thaw and let the dough rise. It took me pretty much all day to get my dough to the right size. I ended up putting the pan with the dough on my stove top and turning my oven on so that the heat would help a little bit. Once the dough is ready, you flour a flat surface and roll the dough out into a large rectangle. Then, top the dough with the meats (you can add or change the meats to suit your tastes), cheeses and then sprinkle with the basil and oregano. I did an all cheese one and added fresh mozzarella. After you have stacked up your ingredients, fold the sides over and seal the edges with a little bit of water. Flip the Stromboli over, seal side down on a greased baking sheet. I then took melted butter and brushed it over the top and sprinkled it with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut and serve with warm marinara sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment