Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Calorie Counting, new recipes and more!

I am on a mission.  My mission is to continue cooking and baking........to lose weight.......AND to get healthy!  So, can they all be accomplished together?  I am starting to find out the answer is YES.  I don't think that just because something is considered healthy, that it has to taste bad.  I am trying all sorts of new recipes, which is nothing new.....but just trying to learn portion control and keeping an eye on my calorie intake.  I am also working out at the gym on a regular basis.  So, with that being said. I am still obsessed with Pinterest.  It is my go-to for any new recipe or any new idea/craft/etc to try.  I have found so many good, new recipes to share.  I will try to start putting the calories on some of the things I make in case you are curious or are also keeping an eye on the calorie count.  Here are some of my favorites to add to the list....

1) Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes - These are so delicious!  And, they actually aren't that bad for you - they end up being 170 calories per mini cake.  They are less that most candy bars and are totally worth the splurge. 


2)  My favorite new recipe to share!!!  Hungry Girl's Sassy Wonton Tacos.  These were a big time winner in my book!  I loved these!  I accidentally deleted my pictures off my phone so I had to use the picture from the Hungry Girl website to show what they look like.  They are only 96 calories for 2 tacos.  You can serve them for a nice appetizer or eat them for dinner.  I ate four for dinner one night and they kept me full.  They are smaller than the normal taco but they have a good combination or flavors and texture. These are a must try!


3)  A Baking Belle original and a great soup to make if you aren't feeling well.  This is my recipe for Homemade Chicken Soup.  My boys were all battling a cold so I mixed this up for them and added some ingredients that had Vitamin C to help knock it out!  It's also 64 calories per 1/2 cup serving.  Also, I used my pressure cooker to do the chicken, carrots, onion and celery...then put in a slow cooker for 4 hours because I was short on time.  I suggest throwing all ingredients (frozen chicken breast okay and uncooked rice) in a slow cooker for 8 hours on low.  This is how I would do it next time I make this. 

Baking Belle's Chicken Soup
2 chicken breasts
1 teaspoon butter or substitute
1 cup chopped carrots
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup fresh chopped spinach
4 cups chicken broth (I used the 99% fat free)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup white rice

Throw all ingredients except the uncooked rice (frozen chicken breasts) in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.  One hour prior to serving, add the uncooked rice in and cook on low for additional hour.  Once it is done, shred the chicken and add back to the soup.  You can add additional chicken broth to achieve your desired consistency.  ENJOY!







Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment