Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Broccoli Casserole ~ very easy!

I have all three kiddos this week - my two boys and my niece.....so I am all about easy recipes!  We had spaghetti, broccoli casserole and fruit for dinner last night.  My Dad just brought me fresh broccoli from his garden so I made a broccoli casserole with it.  Fresh broccoli just can't be beat!!  It is tender and it is delicious just by itself BUT the kiddos need some cheese to get them to eat these veggies.  ;) 

I used my Mom's recipe for her Broccoli Casserole but I needed to speed up the process to referee the kiddos.  See the recipe below:

This is all you need and 2 tablespoons of butter.  I used a bag of the fresh broccoli, 1/2 of the large Velveeta cheese,  3 tablespoons of milk, 2 tablespoons butter and a sleeve of wheat Ritz crackers. 

I went ahead and cooked the broccoli and melted the cheese.  I added about 1/4 cup of milk to the cheese to melt.  It was too much so I would recommend using 3 tablespoons. Microwave in 30 second intervals and stir in between until melted. 


Put the broccoli in the dish and pour the cheese over the broccoli. 


Then stir everything together.  When you do this, the broccoli will break up into pieces.......especially this fresh broccoli....as I mentioned it is very tender and DELICIOUS!  In the meantime, I put the Ritz crackers in a Ziploc bag and gave it to Will & Claire.  They crushed them up for me AND it entertained them for a second.  :)


Sprinkle the crackers on top of the cheesy broccoli mixture and then pour the melted 2 tablespoons of butter on top. 

This is our finished project.  Since I needed a quick dinner, I cooked broccoli and melted the cheese so everything was already heated throughout.  I just had to broil the top to brown the crackers.  I broiled for approximately 2 minutes.  I highly suggest keeping a close eye on it while doing this........I broiled mine a little TOO much!  :)


Broccoli Casserole Recipe
2 tablespoons of butter
bag of the fresh broccoli (you can use a bag of frozen)
1/2 of the large Velveeta cheese 
3 tablespoons of milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 sleeve of wheat Ritz crackers (or regular, depending on your preference)

Cook the broccoli and melted the cheese. Add about 3 tablespoons of milk to the cheese to melt.  ** You can use more if needed.   Microwave in 30 second intervals and stir in between until melted.  Put the broccoli in the dish and pour the cheese over the broccoli.   Stir everything together.  When you do this, the broccoli will break up into pieces.......especially this fresh broccoli....as I mentioned it is very tender and DELICIOUS!  In the meantime, crush up the Ritz crackers in a Ziploc bag.  Sprinkle the crackers on top of the cheesy broccoli mixture and then pour the melted 2 tablespoons of butter on top.  Since I needed a quick dinner, I cooked broccoli and melted the cheese so everything was already heated throughout.  I just had to broil the top to brown the crackers.  I broiled for approximately 2 minutes.  I highly suggest keeping a close eye on it while doing this........I broiled mine a little TOO much!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment