Monday, February 14, 2011

Deep Dish Pizza

 I was inspired to try the Deep Dish Pizza  post on The Southern Plate.  If you have not gone to her website, I highly recommend you to check it out!  There are tons of great recipes and great pictures to go along with it.  I had to alter the recipe to go along with what I had on hand and I am doing weight watchers.  It still turned out pretty good and it was really easy!  My family seemed to enjoy it also, so that is a plus!  :)
Here is the original recipe:

The Southern Plate's Deep Dish Pizza Recipe

Altered Recipe:
  • 1lb lean ground beef
  • 1 med onion, chopped
  • 1 C flour
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped (I omit due to picky family)
  • 15 ounce jar pizza sauce
  • 1/2 C Parmesan (Parmesan is not as easy to spell as one might think…)
  • 8 ounce weight watchers mixed cheese
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • dash black pepper
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup egg beaters
  • 1 T oil
  • 1/2 tsp garlic salt*
  • 1/4 cup fresh oregano*
  • **I leave out garlic salt and oregano and just put in two tablespoons dry Italian Seasoning
Preheat oven to 350. Brown hamburger, onion, and bell pepper (if you use). Drain well. Add garlic salt and oregano (or Italian Seasoning). Add pizza sauce. Stir well. Grease a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle mozzarella over bottom of it. Spread meat mixture over the cheese.  In mixing bowl, add eggs, milk, flour, oil, and salt. Pour over meat in pan. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over batter. Bake 30 minutes.





Sprinkle mozzarella over bottom of it. Spread meat mixture over the cheese.



Mix up the flour mixture.


Pour the flour mixture over the cheese & meat in the pan. 

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


Okay, so let's be honest.  I am sure my Deep Dish Pizza was not near as yummy as Christy's at The Southern Plate but it fit my diet and it actually wasn't too bad with the altered version.  I may have to have a cheat night to try the REAL deal sometime soon!   Enjoy!











No comments:

Post a Comment