Monday, April 18, 2011

Spring Birthdays ~ Triple Blueberrry Cake with Lemon Curd Filling & Banana Pudding



This weekend we celebrated three birthdays!  Will and Jack had two birthday parties on Saturday and then, we celebrated my husband's birthday yesterday.  I wanted to make a really good cake ~ and a new recipe ~ for his birthday.  He's not as big of a fan of chocolate as I am so as hard as it was, I overlooked all the chocolate recipes.  I ended up going with a recipe I have been drooling over and which happened to be on my Baking Wish list. 

Here it is:
Triple Lemon Blueberry Layer Cake

I found this recipe from a fellow blogger @ Pretty.Good.Food.

I also decided to make Mother-in-Law Belle's banana pudding recipe ~ talking about YUM.  It is for sure one of my all time favorites! 

Mix all the dry ingredients together

Add 1 tbsp of the flour mixture to coat the blueberries

Mix together

My stations - squeezing lemons!

Mixing and adding in the eggs for cake batter

Fold in the blueberries

Right out of oven, cooling....

This is the bottom view ~ check out all those blueberries!

Making the homemade lemon curd

Lots of whisking ~ actually about nine minutes...thanks to hubby for stepping in to take a turn

Finished lemon curd


Making homemade whipped cream ~ 2 cups whipping cream/1 cup confectioners sugar
After whipping at high speed ~ you get this!
I folded the lemon curd into the homemade whipped cream for the filling


Now, for the icing....

Staking the cakes and putting the filling on

The cake ~ in the making!

And, the finished product!

I was so anxious to cut this cake!

AND, the first piece is for the BIRTHDAY BOY!


 Now, here is the banana pudding!  It is always a hit!  It's from a recipe that was given to me by my Mother-in-law.  You use REAL, homemade whipped cream! 

Banana Pudding
5 cups whole milk
10-12 bananas
2 boxes Vanilla wafers
Large box of Vanilla instant pudding mix
16 oz sour cream
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
3 cups heavy whipping cream
chocolate syrup
chopped pecans


Start by making your homemade whipped cream.  Whisk at high speed ~ 3 cups heavy whipping cream & 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar.  Set aside.  Then, mix your pudding mix and 5 cups milk.  Add the sour cream to the mixture.  Once done, fold in 1/2 of your whipped cream into the pudding mixture.  Then, start your building ~ vanilla wafer, bananas, pudding mixture.  Continue until all done and top with the reserved whipped cream, chocolate syrup and chopped nuts.  Enjoy!


Make the homemade whipped cream ~ 3 cups whipping cream & 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar - combine and whisk on HIGH speed

Whipped Cream

After making the pudding mixture, start your layering.....wafers, bananas, pudding...continue

This is what you will get!





































6 comments:

  1. These desserts look delicious. I liked very much the banana pudding recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! My mother-in-law has been making that banana pudding for years and it is always a hit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my....both desserts look wonderful. There is no way I would be able to pass up on the delicious blueberry glory though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you....that cake has such strong flavors in it and everybody either loved it or hated it...one of those deals. ;) The cake part was so moist though. I may try to play with the cake recipe and use it for some more deserts. We shall see... haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blueberry cake looks mouthwatering. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! It turned out to be a very moist cake - almost tasted like layers of blueberry muffins...very good! :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete